Friday, June 25, 2010

Our Exciting Neighborhood!

This was the scene on our street a few years ago. Sheep were hopping over people's fences, walking through yards, and blocking the street. Thankfully the rancher guided them back to the farm before they made it to our yard.
A couple weeks ago Beckett and I went for a walk and found 10 cows in our front yard. Well, they were right across the street- close enough. I went back inside and grabbed the camera. Then a policewoman showed up, made a phone call and escorted them back home.

For the past few weeks we've been seeing these "giant rodents" on our walks. I kept telling Dan about them. But everytime Dan came with us, we'd never see them. Dan was imagining something from the Princess Bride but really they're about the size of a cat. Everytime I'd bring my camera I wouldn't see them either. I was just so curious about what they were- I had a couple different hypotheses. A couple days ago Dan was able to see them and I got a picture. There was a little girl out riding her bike and she told us they are whistle pigs. So I went home and googled it and sure enough- looks just like it. "Whistle pigs" it said is the common name for a rockchuck/woodchuck/groundhog. So the mystery has been solved and our walks are lacking purpose and excitement now. This picture is one of the littler ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment