Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pregnancy Update


So I guess I'll try out this blogging craze. Dan left for Moab to go biking and I'm on summer vacation, so this will give me something to do I guess. We'll see how I do with keeping it up.

So here's some lovely pictures of me 37 weeks pregnant. I used to always measure really big but not anymore. I feel like I haven't grown any in over a month- or put on any more weight. The Dr. says I'm measuring right on target now. I think the baby just had a big growth spurt in the beginning.

When I went in for my appointment on Monday I found out this kid is swimming sideways. So since I was past 36 weeks and he was not head down they took me in for an ultrasound to make sure of his position. So now I have the dilemma of figuring out what to do. They were ready to schedule an appointment for me to come into the hospital to try to turn him. But I said I'd rather wait and see if he turns on his own because he sure moves around a lot (last week they said he was head down- couple weeks before that he wasn't- before that he was...). My doctor said I could wait until I go into labor and if he hasn't turned they'll try then. If he never turns, it's a C-section, which I don't want.

I've been doing a little research on this process of turning the baby. The percentages of a successful "version" are between like 40-70% and decrease the bigger the baby gets. Even if they do successfully turn him he could always turn back later. That's what I'm afraid of. But if it decreases my chances of having a c-section then maybe it won't hurt to try. There are risks of your water breaking and you going into labor, or detaching the placenta, or causing fetal stress while they are pushing and moving around your uterus- that's why they have to do it in the hospital so they are ready for an emergency c-section if needs be. But I think the chances of those are extremely slim. At minimum you'll experience discomfort and pain/soreness- and I'd have to deal with more needles- No thanks!

I'll see on Tuesday what position he's in and try to make a decision on what to do- because if I go in for a version- I want to do it sooner so I have a better chance of success. They can always try again later or at birth. I just do not want a c-section.
But it was fun to have another ultrasound- I wasn't planning on it. It confirmed that it is for sure a boy and they estimate he was about 6 lbs. So it cleared up some of my fears. I was afraid they were wrong with my first ultrasound about it being a boy since he was so wiggly and they never got a real good view of things. I also was afraid he wasn't growing- since I haven't much. According to the ultrasound it puts my due date a couple days earlier- but still my official due date is July 16.


6 comments:

  1. Yay!! I'm so glad you started a blog. I guess you have a computer now that's internet capable? I definitely started popping out this week and look both pregnant and chubby now! 4 1/2 months to go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! I hope that your little guy turns around soon. I have one friend who went in to see if they could manually turn the baby around, but said it was too painful, and opted for a c-section. I have another friend who had the same procedure, the baby turned right around, and she had a regular delivery. I turned breach a week before I was due, and then flipped back around on my own. Babies have a mind of their own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blogging world!!! I am so happy you have decided to join! I can't wait to see what your little guy is going to look like. Good luck the next couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so excited for you to have that little boy and that now I'll be able to see pictures of him! Hope everything is going great for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't blog at all but I do get on facebook every now & then. I'm so happy to see u Ashley! At Dana's wedding Angela & I talked to your mom for like an hour about you & Alex & how y'all are doing. Hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey!! I know how you feel about the whole C-section. I really didn't want to have one. But having been induced 3 times and nothing happening and a week over due it was either keep inducing with a possibility of c-section still or just go ahead and do it. We ended up just going through with it. I have a hard time still whether or not it was the right thing but I'm actually healing really well and really quickly. Just be glad that you are in the states! :) If you have any questions though please don't hesitate to ask. I totally went to my sister-in-law with tons of questions since she can only have kids through c-section. Just make sure you and Dan agree with what you want to do. And remember it's your body. Don't do anything you don't want to or feel uncomfortable doing. Good luck with everything and let us know how you guys are doing!!!

    ReplyDelete